Southwest City Old Timer's Day 2018
Old Timer’s Day - How It Began
The Southwest City Commercial Club began Old Timer’s Day in May 1978. The event began following the retirement of John Poynor, long time area resident who had owned and operated the Phillips 66 Service Station from 1927 to 1977.
In 1978, the Commercial Club voted to hold a parade in honor of John and Bess Poynor for their 50 years of service to Southwest City. The Poynors’ became the first Mr. & Mrs. “Old Timers”.
Due to the success of that day the Commercial Club has held a parade each year to honor members of the community. Those honored have included business owners, area farmers, community leaders and volunteers. Each has represented someone special who contributed to the Southwest City area over the years.
Saturday, May 5th 2018
2016 Old Timer's Day Honorees
Tom & Sue Cone